Target, (and I think most people will agree with me) is a family store, with loads of toys, a huge range of baby/kids clothing and even something for mum and dad. If those never ending lines at Christmas time are anything to go by, I would definitely say it’s family orientated.
So what’s more to LOVE?
Target and its breastfeeding friendly policy that’s what!
The policy reads:
Guests may openly breastfeed in our stores or ask where they can go to breastfeed their child. When this happens, remember these points:
- Target’s policy supports breastfeeding in any area of our stores, including our fitting rooms, even if others are waiting
- If you see a guest breastfeeding in our stores, do not approach her
- If she approaches and asks you for a location to breastfeed, offer the fitting room (do not offer the restroom as an option)
This blurry image above was first displayed July 11 of this year, on Mama’s Milkies Facebook Page. It was then shared on the Breastfeeding Mama Talk Facebook page where it received an enormous amount of attention. Here are just some of over 1,500 comments made:
- This is why I love Target!!! About a month ago I was nursing my daughter and a customer went and got a manager, brought them to where I was nursing (in the men’s section with my husband, covered up) and complained. The manager apologized to me and explained to the LADY that I was allowed to feed my baby where ever I am comfortable doing so. And proceeded to explain to the lady that if she didn’t like it, don’t watch. – Laci Crawford
- Target, target, target! This is one of many reasons why we love target.
I’ve breastfed in a carrier, I’ve breastfed in the fitting room, and I’ve just plopped myself down on the floor because baby was crying and needed milk immediately. Not once have I ever even gotten the side eye from a target employee. – Jamie Wittwer
- Way to go target!!! I breastfeed anywhere my baby wants and no longer attempt to cover. My daughter manages to pull it off anyway and Florida is just too hot to hide under a cover. It’s so great to see businesses support breastfeeding. – Arianna Menendez
This news not only had a big impact on mothers, in particular those who breastfeed in public, but it also gained a lot of media attention. Articles by TODAY, Daily Mail and POPSUGAR all wrote in response to Target’s breastfeeding policy and how big of an impact it has made on mothers.
It is extremely positive to see such a large organisation and franchise such as Target, set in place such a policy that really caters for a large portion of their customers and shows they care. It would be great to see other major companies display such policies to ensure their customers feel comfortable and welcomed, like Target’s customers do!
If you have a Target breastfeeding story (positive or negative) that you would like to share, then comment on this blog!
That’s all from me.
Until next time…GO TARGET!